Releases are only needed if you will be playing Rep Lacrosse, house league players may play out of centre without a release.
The Burlington Minor Lacrosse Association (BMLA) has a fundamental commitment to the growth and development of the game of lacrosse in Burlington. The Association has a 'no release' policy for players residing within the Burlington Minor Lacrosse Association boundaries. However, in special circumstances as determined by the BMLA executive, a release may be granted as long as it abides with the OLA and BMLA Constitution.
- When a release is granted the caliber of the player shall not enter the decision.
- The player requesting the release must be registered with the Burlington Minor Lacrosse Association prior to requesting the release and OLA approved for the current season prior to any participation. As per OLA guidelines, release requests may not be considered if the player has not registered before the following days: Box - Third Sunday in March, OMFLL (Boys Field) - March 1, OWFL (Women's Field) - Third Sunday in March.
- If the player is looking for a release to play REP in another centre they must be registered with Burlington and have attended at least 1 REP tryout and/or practice for the appropriate age group.
- As per OLA guidelines, release requests cannot be submitted after the following dates: Box - May 1, OWFL (Women's Field) - May 15, OMFLL (Boys Field) - March 1.
- As per OLA guidelines, release requests cannot be considered before February 15.
HOW DO YOU APPLY FOR A RELEASE?
The Player must first be registered (including payment) with BMLA. The Player or Parent/Guardian must complete section 1 of the Ontario Lacrosse Association (OLA) Release Request Form and deliver it to the BMLA President.
BMLA will respond within 72 hours to acknowledge receipt of the request and notify the player/guardian of the date & time of the release hearing. Release requests will typically be heard at the next scheduled Management Committee meeting.
The BMLA has two options following the release hearing:
- Approve the release and provide the applicant with the approved release form.
- Deny the release request and complete section 2 of the Release Request Form with written reasons for denying the request, and provide the applicant with the information necessary to take the request to the Zone
If the release is denied by the BMLA:
•You can appeal your release to the appropriate league: Zone 9 (box), OMFLL (boys field), or OWFL (girls field). Rules and fees for release exist, please consult the league and OLA guidelines.
•If the request is again denied the request can be taken to the OLA Appeals Committee (there is another fee for this).
•If the request is again denied, the player’ can either request a refund, or continue to play with his/her current association and try to resolve the differences that led to the request for a release.
In the event a release is granted, the BMLA Refund/Cancellation policy will apply (i.e. withdraw/refund registration will be subject to a $35 administration fee). E-payment fees associated with online registrations are non-refundable.