An update on the current situations across Minor Lacrosse as of today. If a single word were to be called for I think that “Hopeful” fits best.
Hello Burlington Lacrosse Families,
Writing this to provide an update on the current situations across Minor Lacrosse as of today. If a single word were to be called for I think that “Hopeful” fits best.
– Lacrosse in general is on hold until April 8 but the OMFLL (the governing body for field) has indicated that the first week of regular season games will not start on the originally scheduled date of April 11; so put directly, delayed. They are currently looking at alternatives once play resumes including potential for a shortened season or a shift in the season altogether. They are also making plans for the complete cancellation of the 2020 season.
– While this is the one division that the BMLA has the most control over, that control is not complete. The safety of our family is paramount so there would be no start to the season until a green light is given by the professionals to do so. Secondly, we are also are bound to the status of the City as they will make decisions regarding the use of public facilities. In the interim, we have been developing alternatives to provide a full season with either a shift or compressing equal floor time into a shortened season. I was on the town hall conference call and it is clear that the City and Region have been pushing proactive measures to slow the virus.
– With the OMFLL and OLA focusing on the seasons which are starting in the spring, there has been little (or no) direct mention of the status of the Girls season. If we are in a position to kick off the Boys Field and
Rep seasons, Girls Field might be completely unaffected. Truth is, we just don’t know.
– Aside from the original direction from the OLA regarding a stoppage of lacrosse activities until April 5th, there has been little direction on the subject. I don’t think that it would be a reach to say that April 5th is optimistic. In the absence of direction from the OLA, the Board has been meeting internally and reaching out to Zone and other organizations to try and play out what the season could look like. This situation is completely out of the control of any one single association and we are all looking to the OLA to provide direction. We will update everyone as soon as we get any instruction from the OLA.
– At this time, we are not
issuing any refunds. If you insist upon a refund, There are OLA and processing fees that get deducted off every registration. We will not know the true financial impact of cancelling the season until we get a clear directive from the OLA. The board is working with the City, Province and our local bank to find solutions to help us meet our financial obligations, should the season get cancelled.
Any timeline to be realized will be the function of two things, the virus and the community actions we take over the next coming months. Everyone please stay safe and maintain the connection with those around you. We don’t need to be close to stay in contact.
President Burlington Minor Lacrosse.